The first step is to develop a clear sustainability narrative to make a business case and then develop market, service and product positioning. A peer related primer is Mark Carney's Tragedy of the Horizons which makes the case in terms of investment risk and can be read alongside research from Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Schroders and leading pension funds like Hermes.
Questions and answers will be different for each company and a simple framework like this creates room for action and vision. Through this process we join up skills in Client, Portfolio, Risk and Sales Management to optimise success.
- Why is sustainability important?
- What does it solve?
- How do we commercialise it?
- How do we integrate it?
- How do we create value?
- Optimises risk, returns and values
- Benchmark economic, environmental and social returns
- Identify higher quality, resilient and adaptable companies
- Develop internal processes, products and services
- Differentiates services in a growing market